For letter X I chose Singapore you might be wondering singapore starts s the chinese name of singapore is Xinjiapo , as there are no country starting with letter X exist I went for the former names while searcing and luckily got a wonderful country to choose.Singapore is officially called as Republic of singapore it is Xiniapo in chinese. The cuisine here is highly influenced by chinese , malay and indonesian cuisine. I picked two desserts again Both have the same coconut filling . For the coconut filling they use a special jaggery called Gula melaka , I didn't find it so used palm jaggery. The pancakes where simply delicious and sift and went well with filling, the pandan flavor was just wonderful in them. For the steamed rice cake it was yummy too and tasted like a south indian puttu.. Lets move on to the recipe..
All purpose Flour - 1 cup
Baking pd -1 tsp
Sugar - 3 tbsp
coconut milk -1 cup ( add more if needed)
Pandan extract- 1 tsp
Oil for greasing the pan
Salt a pinch
For coconut Filling
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Grated Palm jaggery/ gula melaka- 1/4 cup
Pandan extract -few drops
- In a sauce pan add palm jaggery with 2 tbsp or so water and let the jaggery melt completely.
- Add the grated coconut, pandan extract and mix them till they combine well and the excess liquid evaporates.
- Filling is ready..
- To make pancakes Mix all the ingredients under "For pancakes" add coconut milk as needed to get the batter consitensency like pancakes.
- Heat a tawa and pour a ladle full of batter .
- Cook them in simmer till it is done from both sides.
- Once they are done, add the filling in the middle and roll the pan cakes.
- Serve them warm.
Recipe source : Here
Rice flour - 1 cup
Pandan extract - 1/2 tsp
Hot water -1/4 cup
Salt a pinch
Sugar - 1 tsp
Coconut Filling - 1/4 cup ( same as pancake filling)
- Prepare the coconut filling similar to what I did for pancakes.
- Dry roast the rice flour for 2 mins in a pan.
- In a bowl take the hot water add salt, sugar and mix well till it dissolves.
- Sprinkle this water in the roasted rice flour.
- Mix the rice flour wellwith out lumps and Seive them well.
- Take a mold fill half the mold with the rice flour mixture.
- Add 1 -2 tsp coconut filling and the cover them with more roasted rice flour.
- Press them well in the mold and then turn the mold with a piece of pandan leaves or banan leaves.
- Steam the shaped Kueh tutu for 8 -10 mins.
- Have them warm.