Hi friends !! Am back with another delicious recipe shared by +Aishwarya Srinivasan for my event "Come on - lets Cook Buddies" . This an delicious and yummy recipe which aishwarya is going to share with us today . Lets Move on to the recipe without any further ado
Here is aishwarya going to start with a cooking tip and to the recipe :)
Over to +Aishwarya Srinivasan
For adding richness to a dish, try using skimmed milk, cashew nut paste or poppy seed paste instead of the regular coconut milk or cream.
This rice is authentic to Tamil Nadu, and is also a Hindu Temple food. It is a combination of rice, dal and various vegetables cooked with freshly prepared spice powder and tangy gravy. It is also called as Sambar Rice.
Rice - 1 cup
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Mixed Vegetables - 2 cups (I used Carrot, Beans, Peas, Brinjal, Drum sticks, Pumpkin, Potato, chow chow, yam, capsicum)
Boiled Peanut and Chenna - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seed - 1/8 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 string
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind Paste - 1 tsp
Cilantro for garnishing
Sesame oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
Channa Dhal - 1 tsp
Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds - 2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilies - 4
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
Dry roast all ingredients except coconut. Grind them with little oil and coconut.
Method of Preparation
- Cook rice and dal in pressure cooker. It should be well cooked. Mash it with spatula.
- Cook all the vegetables and keep it aside.
- In a pan, Add little oil, mustard seed. hing, and curry leaves.
- Add cooked vegetables and boiled peanut and chenna along with its water.
- Add tamarind paste, salt, turmeric and ground spice powder. cook them for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add cooked toor dal. Mix it well. Sambar is ready.
- Now mix sambar with rice.
- Add sesame oil and ghee. mix it well. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with papad or raita.
You can also make sambar rice without adding coconut.
Thats an very healthy and delicious rice isn't it ?! :) thanks for sharing this yummy recipe here +Aishwarya Srinivasan :)