I love to drink soup in a rainy day and so it rained and I made our very own south Indian soup for lunch today and thinking of what to do for side dish I made my fav potato fry . This is my fav side from my child hood , My mom used to tell If I and bro had this potato fry as a side you both used to finish your food with in minutes but still I and my bro never used to have this fry as a side we just used to finish the food and atlast had these fry so that we don't miss the delicious taste of it :). Potato fry goes so well with almost every rice and i love them as is too . While thinking of Tamizhar samayal this week I thought of sharing this very simple and easy to make tamil nadu spl urulai kizhangu vadhakal which is so simple to make with very less ingredients. So without any futher ado lets move on to the delicious and crispy vadhakal recipe.
Potato - I No ( Big )
Sambhar pd- 1 tbsp
Red chilli pd - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Cumin pd - 1/4 tsp
Coriander pd - 1/4 tsp ( optional)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves - for garnish
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - 2 tbsp
- Chop the potatoes in to small cubes.
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard and cumin seeds .
- After they splutter add curry leaves , chopped potatoes and saute for few seconds .
- Add turmeric and salt and saute them well til the potatoes are half done .
- Now Add sambhar pd, red chilli pd, cumin pd , coriander pd and stir them well .
- Simmer the flame and saute them well till they are fully covered with masala and attains a little crispy outer .
- This might take 20 - 30 mins so keep on stiring in regular interval in a very low flame .
- Once the potatoes are fully covered with masala and attain a little crispy outer part switch off the flame .
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with warm Rasam rice or it can be a great side dish for dal chawal/ curd rice even.
Linking this to Tamizhar samayal Tuesday whose brain child is +nalini suresh .