When you are preparing a meal and are thinking for the easy and simple dessert to go with meal it so very hard to think a dessert which can be prepared in minutes and served right ? Here am today with one such dessert / sweet which goes very after a meal and are most fav in all homes . Paal payasam is an Kerala spl kheer which is prepared by reducing the milk in a pan then cooking the rice in the milk which takes a bit time to make but pressure cooker makes it all easy for us to just mix in all the ingredients and cook them in minutes . For 2nd day of BM a dessert with pressure cooker , I choose this all time fav paysam and they where very delicious and tasted the same as we make them in a pot . Click here for Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#35.
By making in pressure cooker there is no need of constant stiring required and you can surprise your family by preparing this kheer / Payasam in minutes . I have made chawal ki kheer my moms way and here is a Kerala spl payasam which goes well with a meal and it can be added in the ona sadya menu too. To see my ona sadhya platter click here . This payasam is also made in most of the southern parts in India . Lets quickly move to the quick to make payasam recipe.
Milk - 4 cups
Condensed milk - 1/2 cup ( adjust as needed)
Basmati Rice - 1/4 cup ( washed and soaked for 10-15 min)
Cardamom pd - 1/4 tsp ( Optional)
Saffron strands - few ( For garnish)
Chopped Cashew - 1-2 tbsp
- In a pressure cooker boil the milk after it starts to boil simmer and add the rice, cardamom pd and condensed milk.
- Stir well and cover the lid put the whistle on .
- Cook it for 2 whistles in a medium flame .
- Let the pressure subside, then open the lid and stir well .
- Add the cashews and serve warm garnished with saffron.
- You can substitute sugar with condensed milk. Condensed milk gives this payasam a rich taste though.
- Add your favorite nuts I only added cashew.