I love to make one pot meal when am not feeling like cooking an elaborate meal and so the first thing comes to my mind is to make khichdi. Khichdi is a famous India dish which is made in variety of ways in different states , We as rajasthani make the famous green moong dal khicidi most often . Khichdi is generally paired with khadi . Khichdi in Bengal is generally named as Khichuri which is made with rice , masoor dal and some veggies. It is perfect meal to enjoy in a rainy day.In bengal this Khichuri ia customary to make for poojas and place a very important dish where as is western part of India we usually make them if a person is ill and unable to have swallow solid foods .
My kidoo likes to have khichidi and sambhar rice as they are well mashed and so when I first introduced solid foods to I gave her khicidi which she still likes a lot. Its healthy and kids love to have mashed foods so this is one way we can mix in some veggies which they don't like. I when studying Home science had a practice of collecting many magazines and this recipe was from one such local hindi magazine I learnt from . Am so happy after a long time to participate in CCC . Linking this CC Challenge of the month Hosted by srivalli.
1 Cup Rice
1 Cup Masoor dal
1 tbsp Channa dal ( optional)
1 medium sized onion ( Chopped)
1 medium sized Tomato ( Chopped)
1 medium sized Potato ( Chopped)
1/2 Cup peas
1/2 cup Beans (Chopped)
1 Carrot ( Chopped)
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
2 No Green cardamoms
1" Stick cinnamon
2 No Cloves
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
2-3 Green chillies ( Optional)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chilli pd
1/2 tsp Cumin pd
1/2 tsp Coriander pd
5 -6 Cups water
2 tbsp Ghee
Coriander leaves ( Chopped ), for garnish
Salt to taste
- Wash and drain the water from rice and dal . Keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee add cloves , cardamom, cumin seeds , mustard seeds and cinnamon stick.
- After they pop add onion and saute the them for a while , add ginger garlic paste and green chilli.
- Saute them all for a while onions should turn translucent.
- Add tomato and cook them till mushy.
- Add the chopped veggies - carrot, beans poato and peas .
- Mix them well, add red chilli pd. coriander pd, turmeric pd, cumin pd and mix them till they are well combined.
- Add the washed ,drained dal and rice and mix them well.
- Add 5 cups of water and then salt to taste .
- Close the pressure cooker lid and cook them for 3-4 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides open ,give it a mix and serve them hot with any chutney or curd .