For this month's IFC ( International food Challenge ) which was started by shobana and saraswathi is hosted by sharanya of Just Not The Cakes has challenges us with fabulous array of Andalusian cuisine from spain. Andalusia is one of the most popular community in Spain. The name “Andalusia” was derived from the Arabic word “ Al- Andalus". The most popular dish in this community is Gazpacho / Chilled Soup , this is the most loved drink in summer and very refreshing to drink with fresh veggies . I remember once I made Watermelon gazpacho from spain which I made them last summer, Now I tried this veggie version and they where really super refreshing. This community mainly comprises of the Mediterranean cuisine .
Coming to this gazpacho or chilled soup , they re very quick to make with simple ingredients and they are normally refridegrator for hours and then served. This was a super refreshing on a hot sunny summer . Am so happy to try this veggie version , they are very healthy . As they are generally made with raw veggies or fruits they are a must to chill well and enjoy... Over to the recipe
4 medium tomatoes
1 Lebanese cucumbers ( peeled, halved, seeded)
1/4 cup Capsicum ( Chopped)
1/4 cup Onion ( chopped)
1 clove Garlic
2 tbsp cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, to serve or as needed
2 tsp Vinegar
1 tsp Lemon juice
A pinch Cumin pd
2-3 Bread slices ( cut the corners)
1/4 cup Blanched and Toasted whole almonds, split
Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch the tomatoes in enough water for 10 - 15 mins till the skin peel off.
- Once the are done transfer the tomatoes to ice cold water.
- Peel the tomato skin and also scoop of the seeds.
- Chop the tomato flesh and also strain the juice from the scooped seeds.
- Dip the bread slices in water and quickly squeeze the water .
- In a blender add the chopped tomato and juice with squeezed bread slices, capsicum, onion ,garlic, cumin pd, salt and pepper.
- Blend them to a smooth puree.
- In the end add oil, vinegar and lemon juice and pulse once.
- Refrigerate soup for 1 hour to chill or overnight until ready to serve.
- Serve them with, finely chop celery stalks with leaves, remaining cucumbers, capsicum and onion, keeping ingredients separate.
- Serve chilled gazpacho drizzled with extra oil if needed, and with vegetable accompaniment, croutons and almonds passed separately.