Sponge cake are always My fav not to eat but I enjoy them baking. At school when we used to organize canteen, cakes where sure picked up by me and my partner Bcoz cakes used to get over in a blink of an eye. Imagine the whole school used to wait for the recess bell to ring and kids used to run for our sponge cakes. I miss my 11th and 12th school days a lot that was when I got attached to this culinary world and from there started My experiments . At school we learned so many terms and techniques which are so useful for me to understand a recipe even if it is from an unknown state or country. My mam used to tell us that we can give you only the recipe its on you how you innovate and make the recipe an unique dish .
Am so happy that I chose home science now for life long only that is going to help me..Ok lets move to the sponge cake , Sponge cake are basic cakes which can be used to make an rich dessert or you can snack them as is. I love making sponge cakes to make for chocolate pudding, tiramisu, Truffles etc .. Most of the time I make truffles with them . I wanted to share an yellow sponge here in my blog and so came up with a recipe and a twist of adding mango custard pd in them. I love mango flavored cakes and so I added them but you can add plain custard pd also. The custard pd makes it a bit firm and they are super moist. Lets move on to the recipe
1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour/Maida
1/2 cup Mango Custard Powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 - 1 1/2 cups Milk
3/4 -1 cup Sugar ( adjust to your taste)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Oil ( + For greasing the pan)
- In a bowl Mix in Milk , Sugar, Vanilla extract , Oil and mix them well till sugar dissolves
- In another bowl sieve All purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and mango custard pd.
- Pre heat the Oven at 350 F at the mean while.
- Grease a cake pan and dust them with some flour, then tap the cake pan to remove the excess flour sticking in it.Keep it aside.
- Now mix the wet ingredients slowly into the dry ingredients - Milk mixture to the flour mixture slowly so that there are no lump formation.
- Mix them well till they are well combined.
- Pour in the batter into the greased and dusted cake pan tap it once to level them .
- Bake them at 350 F for 35 - 40 mins till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Once done cool them on wire rack for 10 mins and remove them from the cake pan.
- Cool the sponge cake completely if you want to spread some frosting on them, else sieve some powdered sugar on top and enjoy.
- I made Cheese cake, using this sponge as a base.