For this month I chose National dishes as theme for BM while browsing to the countries national dish I found this very simple comforting dal was my first pick from the list. This super simple and very easy to make dal bhat which nepali’s national dish is so quick to make with very less ingredients and are served With plain white rice. This is my routine dal I make for My kiddo though I didn’t know that it prevails from nepal and this one is said to their national dish. This dal is similar to our Khatti dal / kootu we make but this is also made with brown lentils in some parts of nepal. Recipe for dal bhat varies according to season/ Region and family.
Dal bhat is nothing but dal or lentils stew with white rice . This dal bhat is generally accompanied with vegetable sabzi / Tarkari and a little pickle . As I had yellow lentil available at my home readily I choose to make it with yellow lentil / Pigeon peas But any kind of lentil can be used red /Brown. Now let move to this hearty traditional nepali dal bhat .Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#37
1 cup yellow ( Toor dal) or brown lentils
1 medium Onion ( Chopped)
2 No Red dried chilis
1 small Tomato ( Chopped)
1/2 tsp Turmeric pd
1 clove Garlic ( Minced)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
4-5 Cups Water
2-3 tbsp Coriander leaves ( Chopped)
salt to taste
- Wash and drain the lentils . Keep it a side.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, Garlic and red chillies .
- After they splutter add onion and saute them till translucent.
- Add chopped tomato and cook them till mushy.
- Add the lentils,water, turmeric pd and salt.
- Close the lid and cook them for 3-4 whistles.
- After the pressure subsides open the lid and stir the dal once .
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve them with steamed rice.