Toor dal -1 cup
water as needed
Tomato – 1 No
Turmeric pd – 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – A pinch
Green chillies – 2 No
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
2 tbsp Oil
Cooked Rice/ Bhaat
- Pressure cook dal with chopped tomato and turmeric for 3 whistles.
- After the pressure Subsides mash them well with ladle.
- Heat oil in sauce pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida.
- After they splutter , add green chillies , curry leaves.
- Then a add toor dal and mix them well.
- Add enough water to make it thin, also add salt.
- Boil them well for 10 mins and then garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Varan with Bhaat ( Plain Rice ).
- In a bowl add wheat flour, oil,ajwain, salt , add water little by little .
- Knead them to a stiff dough. keep them a side
- Pressure cook toor dal with turmeric pd for 3 whistles. After the pressure subsides mash the dal.
- Heat oil in pan / kadai add mustards seeds after they splutter add asafoetida
- Add turmeric pd, red chilli pd, coriander pd, salt and water Boil them.
- Then add the mashed dal and water as needed to make the dal thin.
- Add tamarind extract to the dal and boil them for a while.
- Now divide the wheat flour dough into equal parts and then roll them likea chappathi.
- Cut them into squares /diamonds and add the pieces to the boiling thin dal.
- Repeat this for the remaining dough and cook all the dough pieces and cook them in dal till they are done.
- The dal will thicken as we cook so keep the dal thin in the beginning.
- Garnish this with coriander leaves and serve hot drizzled with ghee.
- Pressure cook peanuts with 1 cup water and salt for 2 whistles.
- Drain the peanuts and keep them aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies and ginger in a blender to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan add Cumin seeds.
- After they splutter add the ground coconut paste , add 1/2 cup water and salt .
- Boil this gravy and garnish them with coriander leaves.
- Wash and soak sago overnight in just enough water till it submerges.
- Next day drain the water and you can see the sago will be mashable.
- In a bowl take this sago, roasted peanut pd, green chillies, potatoes, lemon juice,
- Coriander leaves, rice flour, sugar, salt and mix them well.
- Divide the vada dough to equal parts and flatten each balls to a round shape.
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry the shaped vadas till they are golden brown from both sides.
- Serve them hot with any chutney you like.
- In a blender mix all the ingredients except coriander leaves till they are well combined.
- If you want you can include green chillies too.
- Serve them chilled.