Dabeli is a maharashtrian spl chaat which is becoming my most favourite chaat a very easy to make , the list of ingredients would sound that there is lot of work to do but once to have gathered all the ingredients it is simple to assemble and enjoyed .It is very much popular in maharashtra and also gujarat .This is a spicy snack made with boiled and mashed potatoes with dabeli masala and sandwiched in a pav bun with some additional ingredients and chutneys added to it and garnished with pomegranate. Even though I haven't totally followed the traditional dabeli recipe I got so much compliments for this from my neighbours with whom I share this and also H loved it a lot .
As this post is dedicated for vegan thursday I would like to mention that this dabeli is totally vegan , even the buns i used are potato rolls and the package said it doesn't contain milk in it. So this a spicy treat for vegan food lover and perfect snack .I also haven't used dabeli masala instead i used pav bhaji masala and the taste was absolutely delicious but next time I make will try it with dabeli masala too. You can check the other members in this group - "Vegan Thursday" Here.
Potato Rolls / Pav / Buns ( I used potato rolls and this makes it vegan )
1/4 cup sev
butter ( optional if roasting the buns)
1/4 cup Roasted peanuts
1/4 cup pomegranate
3 tbsp Khajur imli ki chutney
3 tbsp Garlic chutney
1/4 cup onion
For the filling
2 -3 Medium sized potatoes ( boiled and mashed )
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 cup Onion ( chopped)
1 small tomato ( chopped)
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp chopped Coriander
1 tbsp Pav bhaji masala / dabeli masala
1/2 tsp red chilli pd
1/4 tsp Turmeric pd
1/4 tsp cumin pd
1/2 tsp coriander pd
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
For Garlic chutney
7 -8 garlic cloves
1 tsp red chilli pd
1/4 tsp turmeric pd
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
For imli khajoor ki chutney
1 cup tamarind
1 cup dates
1/2 cup jaggery / sugar
1 tsp Red chilli pd
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
a pinch of salt
a pinch of black salt (optional)
For garlic chutney
- Peel the garlic and chop the tomatoes.
- Put all the ingredients except oil and mustard seeds in a blender and grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds let them splutter add the ground paste .
- Now cook the paste till the mixture leaves oil in the sides of the pan .
- Garlic chutney is ready.
For imli khajoor ki chutney
- In a saucepan take dates and tamarind with 3-4 cups of water and boil them for 20 - 25 mins till you can't see any dates.
- Add the jaggery/sugar, red chilli pd , fennel seeds, to the mixture and boil them well till the the jaggery/sugar dissolve .The mixture should have combined well and become a little thick.
- Add salt and black salt to it and mix well.
- Cool and strain the mixture with the help of a sieve .
- Use as required and store the rest in refrigerator .
- Heat oil in a pan add curry leaves , onion , ginger garlic paste and saute till the onion turn translucent.
- Add tomato and saute till they turn mushy.
- Add the redchiii pd coriander pd , turmeric pd , cumin pd , salt , pav bhaji masala , mashed potato and mix them well till they combine well.
- Add coriander leaves , switch of the flame and add lemon mix well once again .
- Taste for spice level and salt if needed you can add some more .
- In a wide bowl add a layer of potato masala , then some chopped onion , drizzle some Tamarind/ imli chutney .
- Add some Peanut ,again layer them with potato masala drizzle some garlic chutney, some onion ( chopped) ,some pomegranate and garnish them with sev and chopped coriander leaves
- Now if you want you can roast the buns but i didn't .Take the bun ans slice them half way thru .
- Then apply garlic chutney in one side and imli ki chutney in other side .
- Now scoop 3 tbsp of assembled filling or more as you like and stuff it in the buns then top it with little roasted peanuts , pomegranate , sev and coriander .
- Warm it up in microwave or roast on a tawa in very low flame to just warm them up ..
- serve them warm , have a big bite and enjoy this delicious dabeli .
The chutney proportion depends on the the individuals taste you can add less or more.