I love to celebrate my dear friends b’days , when it comes to virtual world though the treat we make for our friend can’t taste our delights specially made for them , it is the love we show and It gives us so much of happiness that we able to treat them virtually . Today is another special day – Birthday of another special friend whom i met in this virtual world an year back , she is an wonderful person with lots knowledge treasured , A fantastic photographer, energetic blogger and her blog is filled with lots of traditional south indian recipes which brings out the authenticity of our Indian food.
I hope you might have got it , yes its Nalini suresh of Nalini’s Kitchen. We met in face book and just had our casual talks but today we are so close and like to share our deeds and daily routines . She is such an down to earth person and always loves to share and help us . Am feeling so happy to celebrate her birthday and I got some surprise treats for her 🙂 .. We friends decided to surprise her by cooking some tamil nadu spl recipes from her blog as its Nalini’s forte and she is an expert in cooking traditional recipe .So I thought to make some recipe , I thought of making collection of recipes to a thali but didn’t get proper time for it so did wat ever I could .. So for our lunch menu I had planned to make kozhambu , rasam, sambhar rice , poriyal and a sweet . Rasam might be missing bcoz I made it later . So this is my Treat from Nalini’s space – Pottukadali sambhar, Murungakkai thakkali kozhambu , Sepankilangu Fry, Thirunelveli halwa. Hope you will like it nalini , Wishing you a many more happy returns , enjoy !!!
Thirunelveli halwa is my all time fav , as a kid i used to love the jelly like transparent halwa which my friends used to share with me at school . Thirunelveli halwa is a famous halwa from thirunelveli, tamil nadu . The one shop which sells this famous halwa with perfect texture and taste is Iruttu kadai . This halwa is generally made with wheat berries with is soaked over night and the next day the milk from it is extracted . The extracted milk is then cooked in sugar syrup and ghee till they are transparent and leaves the sides of the pan. This halwa when you make in large quantity needs a lot of muscle to stir them continuously but here as we made in small quantity it is a bit less hard work needed. This glossy looking halwa just melts in our mouth bursting all the delicious sweet taste and this one is very healthy for growing kids . Adults might watch out for the calories but you can enjoy them some days .we taotally enjoyed all the yummy recipes I made from nalini’s collection and My fav was thirunelvelli halwa and Murungakai thakali kozhambu 🙂 I will post the rest of the recipes soon 🙂 Thanks to nalini for sharing such delicious recipe and Hope you like this yummy treat Nalini 🙂
Recipe Source : Nalini’s Kitchen
Broken Wheat/ Gothumai Rava -1 cup
Ghee – 11/4 cup
Cashews -2-3 tbs(broken)
Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
Red color – few drops ( Optional)
- Soak the broken wheat in water for 6 hours or over night.
- In a blender grind broken wheat with enough water to a fine paste to extract the wheat milk.
- Strain the milk and grind the leftover broken wheat one with some more water strain it again.
- Discard the scum if any .
- Keep the wheat milk on the counter top without disturbing for an hour.
- Discard the clear liquid formed on the top.
- Add 11/2 cups of water to the thick wheat milk and stir them well .
- In a pan put 2 cups of sugar 1/2 cup of water and allow it to boil it reaches single string consistency.
- When the sugar is boiling in one side meanwhile add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a separate pan with 2 tbsp of ghee and heat it.
- Stir it and caramelize the sugar and keep it aside.Now add the wheat milk to the sugar syrup and mix it well.
- The milk will thicken and becomes transparent, add the caramelized sugar to the mixture and few drops of red color ( optional ).
- Add ghee in regular intervals and stir the halwa continuously.
- Add ghee till it reaches the consistency where it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Roast the cashews in ghee till it turn slight brown.
- Add the fried cashews and cardamom powder the halwa and mix it well. Enjoy them warm.
Surul poli is one of the traditional sweet prepared in for many tamil festival they are said to be originated in Tanjore this poli can also be called as Suruttai poli . Surul means roll unlike other poli varities this poli in also stuffed with a filling made with coconut , roasted gram and sugar But the method is completely different . As you might know normally we stuff the poli stuffing in the dough while rolling them but here after the poories are fried the stiffing is filled and made into rolls .This a very simple and a quick sweet prepared with very less ingredients and can be made in a jiffy. If you are badly attacked to sweet tooth and don’t want to prepare any lengthy processed sweet then is might be a option for sweet lovers.
As you all know there is an event going on +Divya Pramil space You Too Can Cook .. The event is all about two teams north and south team ..A member from north team and a member south team respectively will challenge the opposite team members with a recipe from their respective zone and opposite teams have to post the same recipe on their Blog .. this takes place every month .. The idea of this event is that we learn so many different recipes from different zones .. Hats off to divya for this great idea .. click here to partcipate
For this months SNC shama challenge north team with this very traditional dish from south . I wanted to make them as quick as possible and I made the same day she challenged but I didn’t get proper time to post it .Today am very happy to post this delicious surul poli . thanks to shama for challenging this yummy recipe to start the new year . This is our first snc challenge for this year and am so happy to complete it 🙂 So happy to be a part of this wonderful group and am learning a lot from the members .
- Heat ghee in a pan roast cashews ,1/4 cup grated coconut , almonds and pistachios till they turn light brown Grind this along with roasted gram and sugar into fine powder.
- In a bowl put maida , 2 tbsps of sugar , Yellow color , 1 tsp oil add sufficient water and knead a soft dough with water. Keep them a side for 20 mins.
- Divide the dough in to equal balls and roll them to like a chapathi / poori not too thick nor too thin.
- Take the ground nuts powder in abowl and add raisins ( roasted in ghee), dates . I also added some tutti frutti .
- In a plate dust some of this nuts powder and keep them ready.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan for deep frying . when the oil is hot enough slide the rolled poori into the hot oil.
- With help of a ladle press it in the center gently along the edges they will puff a bit,flip them and cook them both the sides without making them crispy.
- Once the poori are done remove them from oil place it on the nuts dusted plate top them with the ground nuts stuffing roll them immediately when they are still hot so that the edges will stick well.
- Garnish them with colored ghee roasted coconut scraps , tutti frutti and cherries.
For this month’s fusion dessert preethi chose a very delicious and yummy fried dessert which is so addictive. As you know am a part of SFC group whose brain child is preeti of Simply Tadka . She suggested churros for this months fusion dessert. This was in my to do list and am happy that am made them atlast . Churros are striped pastry snack which also called as the famous Mexican fritters / Spanish dougnuts . My h just loved these fried delights a lot . Thanks to preeti for suggesting this yummy recipe.
Churros are made with all purpose flour they are made like a pastry like dough in which you don’t have to work with dough a lot and they can be prepared in jiffy . These fried pastry strips are the rolled in sugar and cinnamon mixture . After which there is no need to resist yourself just dip in the chocolate sauce and enjoy them . They were so addictive and delicious … So without any ado lets move to the recipe..
Water – 1 cup
Maida / All purpose flour – 1 cup
Sugar – 2 1/2 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
1/2 cup white sugar with
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- In a sauce pan boil the water , after it start boiling turn off the heat .
- Combine flour, salt, oil together to form a soft dough .
- Heat the oil in a kadai / Wok for deep frying.
- Fill the dough into piping bag or murukku presser fitted with single star mould.
- When oil is hot enough, keeping the press over the oil, press it down into oil.
- Cut the batter with a knife while you press according to the length you want them to be.
- Fry on all sides until golden on simmer flame.
- Drain them on to a kitchen towel.
- You can cut it when it falls to the required length.
- For coating mix sugar and cinnamon, after frying all the churros just roll them on the prepared coating mixture.
- Serve them with chocolate sauce and enjoy !!
I am so happy today is my best buddies b’day and am so happy for her. She is a wonderful blogger and a very kind hearted person who is one of those close friends who encourage me and motivate me to always . Its her kindness which attracted me in the first place when i first met her through SNC . She was is a very enthusiastic blogger and I love her cooking style a lot. You know whom am talking about its Viji of Viruthu unna vanga :). Wish you a many more happy returns viji am so glad to be a part of this virtual party in which few of our mutual friends bring some delicious recipes to celebrate the day together . Am dedicating this post for viji’s b’day and I wish her many more happy returns to come.
She is a dessert queen that how we call her as her space is filled with lots of drool worthy sweets and desserts and she is an awesome innovator. So today I share a very unique sweet for this sweet person . I still remember how my buddies celebrated my b’day virtually by making mouthwatering breakfast thali and am so glad to be surrounded with such good friends . As it was viji’s b’day the frist think struck in my mind is to make the color idli’s and chutney again , but i also didn’t want to miss the sweet surprise for her so made this Beetroot rasgulla and Tri color Tiffin Thali which includes tri color idli and tri color chutney .
Beetroot rasgulla was in mind to try for a long time and today I experimented it on this spl occasion . I make rasgullas often and have tried my hand making rasgullas with fruits But this was the first I tried with veggie 🙂 and so happy that it turned super yumm and they look absolutely gorgeous don’t they 😛 So here comes the recipe of this innovative rasgulla with a veggie.
4 cups Whole milk
4 tbsp Lemon juice
11/2 cups Sugar
1 cup Beetroot puree ( Boil chopped beetroot in water , when done drain the water and blend them in the blender till a smooth paste)
4 cups Water
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
Few drops of Rose essence
- In heavy bottomed pan take milk ,bring it to boil and keep stirring to avoid burning of milk from bottom of the pan..
- Once the milk comes to boil, add the lemon juice and keep stirring.
- Put the flame in low and cook for few seconds until the milk curdles and is separated from the whey . Turn off the flame.
- Pour this curdled milk to the already lined muslin cloth over a strainer,squeeze out all the whey water and rinse the milk solids/paneer under cold water once to remove the lemon flavor in it and squeeze out the water as much as possible.
- Place a heavy weight over the drained milk solids/paneer to squeeze out the water completely.
- Take the paneer in a plate and knead it well for few minutes until they turns soft and comes together.
- Divide them to medium sized balls and roll them without any cracks.
- Boil the water in a heavy bottomed pan, add the sugar,cardamom powder and Beetroot puree,bring this to boil after the sugar dissolves, turn of the flame and strain them in strainer if using a plastic strainer wait till the syrup cools down a bit .
- After straining them again put them in a heavy boycotted pan and at them boil.
- Add the prepared paneer balls to the boiling syrup. Cover it with a lid , simmer and cook for 15-20 mins.
- After 20 mins turn off the heat and let the rasgullas be covered for 10 mins .
- After they cool down completely you can refrigerator them , or have them as it.
If you see some frothy layer coming while the paneer balls are cooking in syrup just remove them as much as you can using a ladle .
Til ke ladoo is a very healthy and winter special ladoo which is generally made for makar sakranti / lohri. I always wanted to make this til ke ladoo and this was the perfect season to make them and keep us warm . Sesame seeds ladoo is a very delicious ladoo which which includes bengal gram , peanuts and they are so healthy as they are made with jaggery . They can be stored for 15 days and had when ever you like.
As you all know I have joined this group “Sweet fantasy club” whose brain child is preeti ,a wonderful blogger author of “ Simply tadka” . This is our challenge for this month under fusion Dessert was Til ke ladoo for makar sakrati spl . This month too preeti has chosen two wonderful indian and international sweet and dessert , thanks preeti for this wonderful challenge again.
White sesame seeds – 3/4 cup
Bengal gram (channa dal), roasted – 1/4 cup
Peanuts, roasted and coarsely powdered- 1/4 cup
Green cardamom powder- a pinch
Jaggery (gur), grated- 1/2 cup
Ghee- 1 tablespoon
- Dry-roast the sesame seeds in a non-stick pan on low heat till light brown. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl. Dry-roast the dried coconut in the same pan on low heat till light brown. Add to the sesame seeds in the bowl and mix.
- Add the roasted Bengal gram and roasted peanuts, Bend them in a mixture till fine powder . Add the cardamom powder , roasted sesame to it and mix.
- Keep the mixture warm. Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan.
- Add the jaggery and cook till it attains a soft- ball consistency. Add the sesame seed mixture and mix well. Divide the mixture into thirty equal portions and roll them into round laddoo while the mixture is still hot.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Pongal / Makar sakranti is celebrated all over India but as am a Chennaite I used to enjoy those pongal holidays a lot. We used to get 4 days holidays and lots special program in TV was so much fun . Other than that our neighbors used to share all those yummy treats they made for pongal . Sugar cane is another reason why i love pongal festival ,I just love to enjoy the juicy sugar canes which i miss today. Pongal / Makar sakratri is winter harvest festival celebrated all over India by different names . As am a north indian we make sweet and savory vada’s but in Tamil nadu it is celebrated for 4 days – Bhogi, Thai pongal, Mattu pongal , Kaanam pongal each day has it own significance.
People make sweet savory pongal varieties and vadas this day , served ( bhog/ padayal) to god then they enjoy the festival with family. On the last day thats is on kaanam pongal with family they have a fun time at beach or some entertaining places like to watch movie etc . So this festival bring so many happy faces to enjoy !! So I made sakkarai pongal and masala vadai for this auspicious day 🙂 Wish you have a very happy pongal / makar sakrantri 🙂 ..Ok now over to the recipe..
Moong dal – 1/4 cup
Rice – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cup
Ghee – 3- 4 tbsp
Cashew nut – 4-5 Nos
Raisins – 3-4 Nos
Jaggery pd – 1 cup
Cardamom pd – a pinch
- Wash and Soak rice and dal for 15 mins.
- Drain the water from rice and dal , In a pressure put rice , dal, water ad milk.
- Pressure cook them for 3- 4 whistles then turn off the flame .
- After the pressure subsides open the lid and and mash them well with a ladle.
- In a sauce pan take the jaggery pd and 1/2 cup water , boil them till one string consistency .
- To check the one string just drop the syrup with a ladle it should form a string while flows drown.
- After it attains the one string consistency add the syrup to the cooked and mashed rice and dal also add the cardamom pd .
- In a low flame mix them well till well combined and add ghee .
- Cook them for 2 mins while mixing them .
- In a another sauce pan heat 1 tbsp ghee and saute cashews and raisins till they turn slight brown .
- Transfer the roasted cashews and raisins to the pongal and mix well.
- Enjoy them warm!!
As you all might be knowing for this weeks BM i have choosen chettinadu cuisine and will be bring chettinadu recipes for three days . The first one was Kuzhi paniyaram for breakfast or snack , and today am here with a sweet appetizer this is a very very delicious and yummy sweet vada which can be served as a appetizer or as a sweet too. This sweet vadai is a very famous chettinadu spl dish which is prepared on auspicious occasion and festivals .
This recipe I have seen many times in TV shows and also some of our blogger friends have shared it when I was blog hopping I was thinking to make it soon and today I made these yummy vada after a long postponement . This yummy sweet vada can be served hot or cold . Check Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 35 .. Lets move on to the recipe..
Urad dal / Black gram dal – 1 cup
Raw rice – 2 tbsp
Sugar / Kalkandu ( sugar candy/ Misiri) powdered – 3/4 cup or
Oil for frying
- Wash and soak urad dal and rice mixture for 30 mins.
- Drain the water completely, add sugar/ powdered Kalkandu/ sugar candy pd and blend them in a blender/ Mixture till fine Batter.
- Add water while grinding if needed only in drops .
- Transfer the batter in a bowl and heat the oil for frying the vada’s.
- Wet your hands with water and take a small portion of the batter slightly press and make a hole using your thumb.
- Slide the edge of the shaped vada using your thumb till and allow it to drop in hot oil.This needs a little practice to get perfect shaped vadas.
- These vada will puff up well fry them in very low heat as they tend to darken faster becoz of sugar in it.
- Turn and fry them both sides till light brown in color.
- If using kalkandu / sugar candy just grind it in mixer to fine powder and use them.
- Instead of Raw rice you might also add channa dal or bengal gram dal.
Its Christmas eve I know all would have Baked a lot and all set to celebrated the Christmas and welcome Christ . But if you have some last minute planes to bake a cake then this recipe should be help to those . Christmas is one festival I love the most , I love the lights , fireworks and the sip the hot Chocolate. When I was at school we had this fun game of counting the stars and making wishes .In the way to school we used to search for homes hanging star’s and used to make a wish it was so fun I don’t remember whether my wishes came true or not but that was a really gud fun game for us. The second thing comes to mind is we used to play chris mom and chris child I know most of us know this game for every Christmas this game was so awaited and we had some funny pranks ,a very nostalgic moment. I wish everyone a very Merry christmas and happy new year 🙂
As tomorrow is christmas I wanted to share some last min cake ideas if you don’t have enough time to bake a fruit cake then am sure you will try this as it is a chocolate cake with tutti frutti which is super moist and very delicious to cake . It is a normal chocolate cake with a tutti frutti in it you will sure love the bites of tutti frutti in between the cake. So here is my treat for my readers and followers for this Christmas eve 🙂
All purpose / Maida -2 cups
Sugar -1 1/2 cup
Cocoa pd – 1/3 cup
Milk – 1 3/4 cups
Oil – 1/4 cup
Tutti frutti – 1/4 cup ( more if needed)
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Baking pd – 1 1/2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Apple cider vinegar – 2 tsp
- Pre heat the oven at 350 F
- Grease a can pan ( here I used a christmas tree mould) Flour the pan and dust the excess.
- Sift flour , baking pd, baking soda, cocoa pd in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix oil, sugar , milk , vanilla essence and mix them till sugar dissolves.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture in to the flour mixtur little by little and mix them well till they appear glossy.
- Add the tutti frutti and mix well.
- At last add apple cider vinegar and fold them in the batter till well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the greased and floured pan.
- Bake the cake at 350 F for 30 – 45 Mins.
- Bake them till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- After they are done let the cake stand on pan for 10 mins then transfer them to serving platter.
- If you want you can frost with any cream frosting or just dust some confectionery sugar .
- As I baked them in christmas tree pan I decorated them with some MnM’s and cheeries.
Banoffee pie is something I would love to make again again Bcoz of the addictive dulce de leche in it :). Dulche de leche is a famous in south America which is nothing but a slowly sweetened milk till it attains a caramelized color . The milk is slowly cooked with sugar till it turns thick and turns into brown color. Now a days we make use of condensed milk to make it more easier and this way it takes less time to make a addictive dulce de leche which tastes just like a toffee. This addictive caramel milk is used in many desserts and one such english dessert is famous Banoffee pie. Banoffe Pie is one of my fav after i tried the first time when an non blogger share it in my space for come on – lets cook event. I was so excited when preeti of “ Simply tadka” suggested that this months international dessert for our “Sweet fantasy club” is going to be a banoffee pie.
Banoffee is a traditional British dessert, which includes Banana slices, sticky toffee or other wise called as dulce de leche , and topped with whipped cream are arranged in layers crust made with digestive biscuits, outcome is a addictive and irresistible dessert. Using crushed digestive biscuits for the crust balances the taste of this yummy treat.
Condensed milk – 1 Can
Marie biscuit – 10 No
Butter – 1/4 Cup
Banana – 2
Whipped cream – 1/2 Cup ( whipped till stiff peaks)
Crumbled Chocolate cake
- Prepare the pressure cooker by adding ample amount of water so that the condensed milk tin can immerse in it .
- Remove any label from the tin and see if there is any damage in the tin if there is any damage don’t use it as it might lead to busting of cooker so be cautious.
- Put the can in the pressure cooker which is filled with water , it should be fully immersed.
- Close the lid put the weight / whistle and cook them in a till one whistle and then lower the flame and cook the for 20 mins.
- Switch of the flame and let the pressure completely subsides.
- Do not shake the pressure cooker at the time stay in the water till water completely cools down.
- You can store the can/ tin in refrigerator and use them the next day or wait till the tin is completely cool.
- Dulce de leche is ready to use!!
- Powder the biscuits by putting them in aziplock and rolling them with the rolling pin to form a fine pd or use a mixer .Now Mix melted butter with the pd biscuit pd . Crust of the pie is ready.
Assembling the pie
- Set the crust in the bottom of a bowl, glass of tart moulds.
- Spread the Dulce de Leche on top of the crust
- Slice the bananas and place it over the Dulce de Leche.
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the banana layer
- Decorate with grated chocolate/cocoa powder / crumbled chocolate cake finally.
- Set in fridge and serve them chilled.
You can also assemble banoffee pie in a bowl Like I did in the below pic.